#1 bcdad007

bcdad007

Advanced Member

• Supporting member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,365 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

dont normally ever go to jans and expect anything to survive but my buddy had never been so i figured it best to let him make his own inference on this LFS. walked in and noticed it was less packed but than ran into the final straw for me and much disgust for him. they are selling fish with hearts and words tattoed on them. there are tons of beautiful fish out there and no need to do this to the poor fish. i really tried togive this place a few chances but no more ever agsin. i wouldnt shop there if you paid me!!!!!!

sorrry was just super disgusted

#2 linuxrulesusa

linuxrulesusa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • LocationAllen Park, MI

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

dont normally ever go to jans and expect anything to survive but my buddy had never been so i figured it best to let him make his own inference on this LFS. walked in and noticed it was less packed but than ran into the final straw for me and much disgust for him. they are selling fish with hearts and words tattoed on them. there are tons of beautiful fish out there and no need to do this to the poor fish. i really tried togive this place a few chances but no more ever agsin. i wouldnt shop there if you paid me!!!!!!

sorrry was just super disgusted

FYI they've been doing this for a while. Last spring when I was in there (May, perhaps?) they had some like that in there. I didn't know much about it at the time and how hard it is on the fish. I understand you not wanting to go in there again.

My biggest beef with the store is how they bulk ship everything in every week and sell it pretty much all off, and then you as the customer get stuck with any dead or sick fish because they never have time to acclimate from the first trip to the store. Before they're in your tank (another adjustment) and it's just too much stress for many fish.

#3 Frenchie

Frenchie

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationPlymouth Michigan 48170

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hearts on, Fish oversea's is big money and i mean big.

#4 Regalblue

Regalblue

Advanced Member

• 5,123 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Yep... Leroy is another store which I boycott. It's for a different reason, but I haven't spent any money with him in over 5yrs

#5 bcdad007

bcdad007

Advanced Member

• Supporting member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,365 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Thats my first time id been there in 2 years

#6 bluebirdnanny

bluebirdnanny

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationMontmorency County

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Wow! Jans USED to be good. But that was over 30 years ago and the owner was old then. I guess he sold it off or he died. He was very picky about local breeders and would not even sell the dyed fish citing how how cruel it was on the fish! My how things have changed!!!

#7 pi-eyed

pi-eyed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo,Mi

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

I've never been there personally but used to hear great things about that store(years ago). In the past few years I've heard a lot of horror stories about the store. If I'm ever in the neighborhood I'll check it out for myself.

---Chris

#8 bcdad007

bcdad007

Advanced Member

• Supporting member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,365 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

I've never been there personally but used to hear great things about that store(years ago). In the past few years I've heard a lot of horror stories about the store. If I'm ever in the neighborhood I'll check it out for myself.

---Chris

thats the best way.. just going on someones elses say so gets you no where

#9 Goldfishgirl

Goldfishgirl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

i used to go in there all the time with my dad and never was that bad.. but now since im more into the fish and how they are treated i wont go back i was so annoyed and upset on what i saw... i dont care if it makes the fish look cute it hurts them and you should get fish that you can enjoy in there natural beauty not haveing to make it that way... but like everyone said you have to find out on your own just hope you make the right choice on your own not just from what other people say !!!!!!

p.s. sorry for ranting but it just irrittes me to that done to fish i know its everywhere but still kinda bothersome

#10 GaToRxxx420

GaToRxxx420

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationTaylor, Mi

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

Jan's used to be the place to go, 25 or so years ago. We used to get our fish from them back when I was real young. I only remember us having problems with Neon Tetra's and I think that was due to incompatible fish. Other than that, we had pretty nice fish. But the last few times I've gone in there it's been real disappointing to see just how downhill it's gone. From the tattooed fish to the overall poor quality, I really wonder where they get their fish from sometimes. I do know I don't shop there anymore.

#11 EvilVOG

EvilVOG

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Wow! Jans USED to be good. But that was over 30 years ago and the owner was old then. I guess he sold it off or he died. He was very picky about local breeders and would not even sell the dyed fish citing how how cruel it was on the fish! My how things have changed!!!

I think the original owners are still there. they are quite old. Haven't been there in a bit but i never saw tattooed fish. But i can attest to them stocking up and pushing out the door. They do a 50% off sale every Sunday i think, and that seems to be their entire business model. Sell a ton on Sunday, get more fish, repeat.

Got some good points if you need some cheap whatever, like a bag of 12 or so ghost shrimp for a dollar. I had a few last for a long time.

#12 parachromis boy

parachromis boy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWayne,MI

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

yea the store isn't good,i only go on sundays ery now n then for live foods

#13 bcdad007

bcdad007

Advanced Member

• Supporting member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,365 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

ive just decided this is a store I don't want to give any buissness too

#14 Greg Y

Greg Y

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

that store has always sucked, back in the day it was known for the place to get a cheap 50 gal. but not to buy anything else

#15 bcdad007

bcdad007

Advanced Member

• Supporting member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,365 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

idk if its just me but it just seems as times get harder the fish stores that were ok kinda start going really downhill. you can tell the ones that are great though even through it all

#16 Big Dog

Big Dog

Advanced Member

• Supporting member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts
  • LocationAnnArbor MI

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

If you buy a tank there. You can not return it once you walk out the door. Even if you did not put water in it. They have a sign posted last time I was there.

#17 bcdad007

bcdad007

Advanced Member

• Supporting member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,365 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

when was that ??? ive drove by and it looks like its falling apart a little more

#18 lk garrett

lk garrett

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

I like ´╗┐the live food variety (Platy feeders, where else?) and with a quarintine for live fish not too bad of a survival rate...

#19 bcdad007

bcdad007

Advanced Member

• Supporting member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,365 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

I giggle at the fact this was posted 10 months ago and it still gets replies.....

and honestly imo I wouldn't buy anything from that place anymore just over my moral convictions  if nothing else

#20 Greg Y

Greg Y

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

http://www.cichlid-f...iew.php?id=1412

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users