11 replies to this topic

#1 srf312

srf312

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationFair Haven, MI

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

I purchased two of them today, and put them in my community tank (not the best idea). Since I put them in around 4, one has been severely bullied and now has white spots on its fins. I didn't notice the spots earlier but I could have missed them. What is this and how do I treat it???

#2 linuxrulesusa

linuxrulesusa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationAllen Park, MI

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Probably ich.  What is bullying them?  They are nervous fish and need some cover or ideally calm tankmates.

If it is ich (looks like grains of salt), the best treatment is to raise the temp in that tank to 85-86 and increase aeration (add a bubbler or something) since there is less oxygenation at higher temperatures.

#3 srf312

srf312

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationFair Haven, MI

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

I think my Odessa barbs are the bullies. One of the hatchet fish's tails is almost gone. They've been separated, I'll try treating them for ich

#4 linuxrulesusa

linuxrulesusa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationAllen Park, MI

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

You may end up having to treat the main tank for ich too so keep an eye out for it.

Otherwise sounds like a good plan. I tried hatchets in a large tank (90g) and ended up losing them over time...accelerated when I put them in a smaller tank. I think it could have worked if I had a larger group and better cover for them.

#5 Djlamonica

Djlamonica

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

I tired these and silver hatchets a few times one three occasions I'd get groups of 12 at least 3 would die with in the first week on all three occasions, and then slowly the group would get picked off.  All three groups came form different stores.  If i ever tried again I'd really think about tank mates, cichlids were a no go for me and fast moving barbs didn't work either.

#6 srf312

srf312

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationFair Haven, MI

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Yeah, I don't think they're going to work in my tanks. If they don't die within the next few days, I'll probably rehome them or take them back. I feel terrible that this happened though, I thought they'd be ok
They're currently in with barbs and tetras, and if I ever try them again they certainly will not be with barbs or tetras
How do I go about fixing their fins??

#7 Dan0482

Dan0482

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationGrandville, MI

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

they are pretty sensitive in my experience.  once they get past acclimation blues, they did pretty good in my peat filtered, heavily planted 20g.

definitely watch your main tank because ich has more than likely been introduced to it.  If they are going to show symptoms it will probably be in the next few days, watch for more white spots.

melafix and good water quality really help repair fin damage. also feeding quality foods like nls helps out a lot.

#8 Djlamonica

Djlamonica

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

it sounds like they may also have ich.  I would take them out of the tank immediately and put the im a hospital tank and treat with salt and some heat.  If you don't have a qt tank or hospital tank culling them is your best option as they will most likely spread it to your other fish,  And from he sounds of it they are not going to make it long anyways.

#9 srf312

srf312

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationFair Haven, MI

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

Thank you, I'll be watching carefully and upping the water changes
Should I start treating for ich? Now that they're isolated the white spots are almost gone

#10 linuxrulesusa

linuxrulesusa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationAllen Park, MI

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

Wouldn't hurt to treat for ich. A pic would help to ID the problem...could be something else.

#11 srf312

srf312

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationFair Haven, MI

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

If it lives through the night, I can get pics tomorrow.

#12 aggriffin3

aggriffin3

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids Area

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

I think they are good fish to have with Angelfish. They worked for me anyways.

Art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users